For Research, Solace and Purchases
Watch the following video and read this page to learn about our onsite resources to help our patients and caregivers. (If you are viewing this site on a smartphone, go to this page for the video.)
Patient & Family Resource Centre
Being informed is a key part of your patient experience. Any question is worth asking and our staff is available to answer them at your convenience. You may also want to supplement this information with your own research and discuss the answers you find with your care team.
To support your search for information, we encourage you to visit our Patient & Family Resource Centre, which is located next to the Welcome Centre reception on the Lobby level. Open and staffed by trained volunteers, from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., it provides free access to current, reliable and accurate health information and internet access.
The Healing Garden
The Healing Garden is located on the west side of the SRCC at Southlake. You can get to it from the Prospect Street exit, on the lobby level or through the Radiation Therapy Department on the ground level. It is a large area with flowers, trees, a fountain and benches and is a quiet, calm place to spend time.
The Quiet Room
We also have a Quiet Room for patients, family, staff and volunteers. It is located on Level 1, near the main elevators. Patients can use this room for quiet reflection, prayer and meditation.
Some cancer treatments can cause thinning or loss of hair. Hair usually grows back after the end of treatment, and sometimes even sooner.
If you do not have private health insurance, have lost some hair and would like a wig/head covering, there is a selection of donated wigs and head coverings in the chemotherapy suite “wig room.” If desired, a volunteer on Level 2 can help you make a choice that is most comfortable for you.
Before you buy a wig – If you have extended health insurance policy, check your policy. You may be covered for all or part of the cost of the wig, but will need a prescription. Ask your doctor for a prescription for a wig before you buy one. Send the prescription and wig receipt to the insurance company for reimbursement.
Food & Other Retail Services
The SRCC at Southlake does not have its own cafeteria or food outlets but there are several food vendors within Southlake Regional Hospital:
- Druxy’s takeout/eat in restaurant is the closest to the Cancer Centre, on the second floor bridge connecting the garage building to the hospital. (Open Monday – Friday, 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; closed Sundays and public holidays)
- Subway takeout restaurant is in the main hospital, on Level 1 (Open: Monday – Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.; weekends, 8 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.; public holidays, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.)
- Tim Hortons has two locations in the main hospital building:
- Main takeout restaurant on Level 1 (Open: Monday – Friday, 24 hours; weekends and Public holidays, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- Small, counter style takeout restaurant on Level 2. (Open: Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.; weekends and Public holidays, 24 hours)
- Aquene Cafeteria with eating space is in the main hospital, on Level 1 (Open: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
There is also a volunteer-run Gift Shop on Level 1 of the Southlake Health Centre’s main hospital building. It offers you an assortment of gifts and necessities like clothing, toiletries, cards, magazines and flower arrangements. And there’s a variety of vendors in the same area that change daily.
It is open on Monday to Friday, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on weekends and public holidays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., pending volunteer availability