Palliative Pain & Symptom Management Consultations
The Hospice Palliative Care (HPC) Teams for the Central Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) help primary and other healthcare providers deliver high quality hospice palliative care to patients and families/caregivers in their homes, throughout the Central region.
To achieve this goal, our Clinical Nurse Consultants (CNC) and Nursing Manager work collaboratively and consult with primary care teams in the community. Through this consultative approach, we help primary and other healthcare providers deliver high quality hospice palliative care to patients and their families/caregivers within their homes.
We also provide referred patients and their caregivers/families with palliative pain and symptom management consultations.
Help for Healthcare Providers
Our CNCs serve as a resource to help healthcare providers interpret and apply assessment tools and best practice guidelines to care. We facilitate hospice palliative care consultations, educate, mentor, support and provide linkages to varied providers, including:
- Central LHIN Home and Community Care staff
- Community Nursing & Support Agency staff
- Family Health Teams
- Hospice (Residential & Community) staff
- Long-term Care & Retirement Home staff
- Physicians and Nurse Practitioners
Our Clinical Nurse Consultants (CNCs) offer:
- Health service providers – in person, telephone or email consultations to assist them with assessing patients and managing their pain and other symptoms
- Primary nurses – ongoing education to help them build their expertise in pain and symptom management
We also have established regular, interprofessional rounds in each geographic area. These rounds give care teams the opportunity to review patient care plans, make revisions, as required, and provide education to meet the changing needs of patients and their caregivers.
For more information about our HPC Teams and services:
- Read/download HPC Clinical Nurse Consultant Team brochure
- Visit the HPC Teams for Central LHIN website
(If you have challenges opening the brochure, click/tap here for help.)
Referring a Patient/Caregivers for Consultation
A physician or any healthcare provider, as well as patients and families, can refer an individual for palliative pain and symptom management consultation. The referrer will then serve as the point of contact for the individual referred.
Please note: The capable individual or their substitute decision-maker must be aware of the reason for the consultation referral and give their explicit consent to it.
To refer a patient, select, download, complete the appropriate form below:
- If the individual is or has been a Southlake Health Centre or SRCC at Southlake patient: use this HPC Teams for Central LHIN Referral Form
- If the individual has not been a Southlake or SRCC at Southlake patient, use this Palliative Care – Common Referral Form (PC-CRF)
- If the individual is a long-term care resident, use this Long-Term Care Referral Form to HPC Teams
Complete the form as thoroughly as possible with the most current information or updated information. Include or attach consultative notes, medication lists, test and imaging results and other reports (dated within the last two weeks and current at time of referral).
If you have previously submitted either referral form and want to refer the individual for another service or need to update their information, complete a PC-CRF Update/Report Form.
Fax the completed form, with any required documents, to 905-830-5978. Alternatively, you may mail the form and documents to: HPC Teams for Central LHIN, 596 Davis Drive, Box 22, Newmarket, Ontario L3Y 2P9
If you have any questions about this service or how to complete these forms, contact the HPC Teams at 905-895-5800 and follow the prompts.
Referring a Patient for Palliative Care
Outpatient palliative care programs are also offered by the Psychosocial Oncology and Palliative Care program team at the Stronach Regional Cancer Centre (SRCC) at Southlake, as well as other hospitals across the region.
To refer a patient for palliative care:
- At the SRCC at Southlake, visit our Patient Referrals page to access the form and directions.
- At a partner hospital in the Central LHIN, visit our Regional Partners page for links to our partner hospitals`cancer programs.
Additional Provider Resources
When symptoms require urgent intervention to facilitate a comfortable home death: complete (on screen), print and fax this Palliative Symptom Relief Kit (SRK) Prescription Hospice Palliative Care Teams for Central LHIN (electronic version)
For Palliative Education & Learning Opportunities:
Visit: Education & Learning
Access HPC Teams for Central LHIN:
Hours: Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Phone: 905-895-5800 and follow the prompts
Emergency On-Call (after hours, weekends & holidays): 905-954-5220